- A) Wireless Internet access is easy to install.
- B) They take up little space.
- C) They are portable.
- D) You get more speed for a lower price.
- A) A desktop computer is harder to move around.
- B) A desktop computer requires more space.
- C) A desktop computer is difficult to transport for repair.
- D) A desktop computer is more expensive.
3) CPU speed is measured in: 3) __D____
- A) nanoseconds.
- B) megabytes.
- C) bits per second (bps).
- D) Hertz.
4) The amount of RAM recommended for most systems today is measured in: 4) __D____
- A) Megahertz.
- B) Gigahertz.
- C) KB.
- D) GB.
5) ________ are fast becoming the most preferred means of portable storage. 5) __D____
- A) DVDs
- B) CDs
- C) Floppy disks
- D) Flash drives
6) All of the following can be connected to your computer through a port EXCEPT: 6) ___C___
- A) scanner.
- B) an external hard drive.
- C) RAM.
- D) a printer.
7) Each of the following is a type of port EXCEPT: 7) ___C___
- A) FireWire.
- B) Ethernet.
- C) FSB.
- D) USB.
8) An expansion card that translates binary data into images is a(n): 8) ___D___
- A) game card.
- B) sound card.
- C) audio card.
- D) video card.
9) A MIDI port allows you to connect: 9) ___C___
- A) scanners.
- B) notebooks.
- C) electronic musical instruments.
- D) digital cameras.
10) The technology that transmits data between two devices using infrared light waves is called: 10) _B____
- A) Wi-Fi.
- B) IrDA.
- D) Bluetooth.
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
11) The CPU is located on the motherboard. 11) __T___
12) The CPU is the temporary storage location for all the data and instructions the computer needs when it is running. 12) __F___
13) Accessing data from the hard drive to send to the CPU is faster than accessing data from RAM. 13) __F___
14) Hard drives have the largest storage capacity of any storage device. 14) __T___
15) The main distinction between a desktop and a notebook is Internet connectivity. 15) __T___
16) CPU stands for computer processing unit. 16) __F___
17) When there is not enough RAM installed in your system, the system becomes memory bound. 17) __T___
18) A sound card is attached to the inside of your computer's speaker. 18) __F___
19) RAM is your computer's permanent storage space for data that is entered from the keyboard. 19) __F___
20) The amount of memory your video card needs depends on what you want to display on your monitor. 20) __T___
SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
21) The time it takes a storage device to locate stored data and make it available for processing is called ________ time. 21) _Access Time__
22) RAM is an example of ________ storage because when the power is off, RAM is cleared out. 22) _Temporary___
23) The technology that uses radio waves to send data wirelessly over short distances is ________. 23) __Bluetooth Technology__
24) USB stands for ________. 24) _Universal Serial Bus_
25) The primary circuit board of the computer system is the ________. 25) _Motherboard_