Unit 302Schools as organisations Outcome 1 A1. 1 Every three and four year old child is entitled Voluntary-aided schools (VA) schools are maintained schools and often, but not always, have a religious character. These schools are eligible for capital funding by grant from the Department, to free early years education. Funding is available for 12.

5 hours a week and 38 weeks per year. Free places are available in school nurseries and private day nurseries. A1. 2Community Schools – These Schools are controlled by the local council and not influenced by business or religious groups.These schools are state funded and are run by the local education authority (LEA).

The staff are employed by the LEA but the govening body is responsible for the running of the school. The LEA decides the “admissions criteria” to use if the school has more applicants than places. Some of the possible criteria are; 1. If you live in the area. 2. If the child has any siblings at the school.

The local Authority also provides support services, for example, psychological and special educational needs services. Pupils who attend a community school must follow the national curriculum.Community schools also help to develop strong links with the community by offering the use of their facilities and providing services i. e. childcare and adult learning programmes. Trust Schools – A Trust School is a local authority maintained school which is supported by a charitable Trust which appoints some of the governors.

It remains part of the local authority, family of schools. It operates within the same frameworks as other maintained schools: • teaches the National Curriculum; • Follow the Schools Admissions Code and; • Can be inspected by Ousted. •Teaching staff are employed under the terms of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document. The local authority funds the school on the same basis as all other local authority schools and retains its intervention powers if there are problems at the school.

Trust schools differ because their charitable Trust (the North Tyneside Learning Trust) establishes a long-term relationship with external partners and involves them in the school’s governance and leadership. The governing body of a Trust School (which retains parents, staff, community and authority governors) remains responsible for all major decisions about the school and its future.The skills and experience of the Learning Trust-appointed governors strengthen the whole governing body and make a contribution to the school’s ethos. The governing body remains responsible for all aspects of the conduct of the school (including the school’s budget and staff), and so responsibilities and accountabilities remain clear.

A Trust School does mean that: • The school becomes its own admissions authority • The governing body becomes the employer • Land, building and assets will be transferred from the local authority (LA), and held by the TrustSpecialist schools - Children who have a statement of special educational needs (SEN) can and usually are educated in mainstream schools if the school has provisions that are suitable for that child, however children with SEN can also be educated in specialist schools. Special schools usually take children with particular types of special needs. The majority of a schools funding is provided by the department for education and skills (DFES) through the local education authority, however not all schools for pupils with SEN are maintained by the local authority and are funded by fees that are paid by the parents or charitable trust funds.Independent/private schools; these schools are not maintained by the local authority and are independent in their finances and governance.

Independent schools are funded by a combination of tuition fees that are paid by parents and income from investments. Only half of independent schools are of ‘charitable status’; all donations that are made to public schools that are supported by local government allows them to claim charitable deductions. Independent schools do not have to follow the national curriculum and the admissions policy is determined and administered by the head teacher along with the governing body.All independent schools have to register with the DFE (department for education) under the Education Act 2002 and applications of new schools must be made before a school begins to function and admit pupils. Regulations made by the Education Act 2002 sets out standards that all independent schools in England must satisfy as a condition of registration. Free schools - free schools are an all ability, non profit making, state funded school that are set up in response to what local people say they want and need in order to improve education for children in their area.

Free schools can be set up by a varied range of proposers i. e. universities, businesses, educational groups and parents who would like to make a difference to a child’s education. These schools are being set up in response to a demand in local areas where there are not enough places in mainstream schools.

Free schools have to meet rigorous standards and are subject to the same Ousted inspections as all state schools. Voluntary schools - there are 2 types of voluntary schools: • Controlled. • Aided. Voluntary controlled schools - Voluntary controlled schools can be also known as religious or faith schools.In a voluntary controlled school the land and buildings are owned by a charity which is more often than not a religious organisation such as a church.

The local education authority employs the staff and also provides support services for the school. The charity appoints some of the members of the governing body although the local education authority is responsible for running the school. Voluntary aided schools - as with a voluntary controlled school the land and buildings are usually owned by a charity such as a church but the governing body is responsible for running the school and also contribute to building and maintenance costs.Voluntary aided schools are partly funded by the local education authority, partly by the charity and by the governing body who will also employ its own staff.

Pupils who attend a voluntary aided school have to follow the national curriculum and support services are provided by the local education authority if needed. Running a creche 1. Parents and carers are required to sign the children both in and out of the creche. The record should also include the time the children arrive and leave.

2. When performing toilet duty we must all wait until the last person has finished before walking back together to the creche.Health and safety 1. Record the contact details for the parent or carer e. g. Home phone number, mobile number, works number etc.

2. If an accident did occur I know to complete the relevant paperwork. This records the incident and the action taken and so provides a record for the parent or carer. Things I would do differently 1. I would cater for younger children between the ages of 18 months to 3 years old. 2.

I would ask to borrow some of the toys and books from the reception classes. 3. I would organise more activities for the children in order to keep them amused during their time at the creche.