2. American model of societies vs. European, description of the farm owned by the character James
3. Comparisons of American environments, societies, and citizen identities
4-8. Describe the Quaker society
9. Argues that slavery in the South is evil
10. Description and cultural practices of snakes, and discussion of hummingbirds.
11. Improvements of farming with fertilization and irrigation and use of plants
12. Debate over if he is American or British during the American Revolutionary War
Relationship with the environment: human growth, development, and activities are controlled by the physical environment.
-discusses the exploration of surroundings
-letters are like journal entries or reports because they show observations and opinions on surroundings
-land of nourishment and redemption due to farming improvements and being on a farm
-promise and opportunity by being a colonist
-discuss difference between America and Europe