“It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion, but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you are asked to write an opinion essay, no worries. In this blog post, you will find a precise direction on writing an opinion essay. Don’t afraid to be unique. You should express your opinion even if it is new and nobody thinks like you do.
You probably know that the opinion essay format may differ. You may choose to make it long or short, depending on the understanding of the problem and your viewpoint. However, you have to stick to some basic rules and create a presentable structure of the composition.
What Is an Opinion Essay?
An opinion essay is one of the most popular essay types, the one can encounter during his academic career. An opinion essay is a type of a composition that showcases an author’s opinion. If you are allowed to pick the topic you want, it would be great if you spend some time and look for good opinion essay topics. You can choose somebody's viewpoint on an issue that you like or dislike and speculate about it. Such an essay does not contain the contrasting points like pros and cons essay.
The opinion essay is usually written in a formal style. This means that the work should not contain idioms, phrasal verbs or colloquial expressions. Complex lexical and grammatical constructions are preferable to simple ones.
As to the opinion essay structure, there must be an introduction, the main body, and a conclusion.
Opinion essay introduction should tell its reader about an issue and your opinion regarding the problem. To put it simply, here you outline the central idea of the composition. To make an essay more engaging you can either ask a rhetorical question or put a quotation.
The main body can contain two paragraphs:
- the argumentation of the author's opinion;
- opinions that are opposite.
Thus, in the first paragraph of the main body, you clearly explain why do you think so. To reinforce your thoughts, you can add arguments and examples. In the second paragraph, you write down your thoughts regarding the position that is opposite to yours. You should also point out why this position is not correct. If you want to speculate about more than two viewpoints you should begin each paragraph when you want to present a new idea. If are supposed to write a very short essay you can skip the second paragraph.
The conclusion sums up all that has been said in the main body and expresses the author's opinion using different words. Writing this part of the essay is both a simple and challenging task at the same time. The simple part is that you do not need to come up with new arguments or prove something, you just talk about your opinion, that is, repeat what you have said before. The difficulty is to express the same idea in other words, without repeating the sentences that you have already used in the introduction.
Thus, any opinion essay should contain at least three paragraphs. As to the main body, a passage with the opposite opinion must necessarily be separated.
Don’t forget to proofread the essay when it’s done.
Tips for Writing an Opinion Essay
- Spend some time on studying grammatical constructions and on expanding your vocabulary. This gives a chance to write a decent composition.
- Read the topic of a composition thoroughly and identify the main task. A very common mistake when writing such an essay is making emphasis on things that are not of primary importance. For example, you need to write an essay on the topic "Penguins Make Ideal Pets." Eventually, your essay says too much about the penguins themselves and does not tell the reader about the problem of keeping penguins at home. Therefore, instead of the required topic, your instructor reads the essay "Penguins are the Most Lovable Creatures in the World." It seems that the essay is about penguins, yet this is more than that.
- Avoid standardization. Another common problem is standardization. Each essay has its own structure and purpose. If you are assigned to write any type of an essay that is new to you, first of all, find out how it should look like.
- Engage your reader. To make your essay stand out simply use an interesting fact or start with controversial thesis or ask a question. This technique will encourage the reader to them to find out what you actually think.
- Conduct an investigation regarding your topic and find out some statements that support your opinion. By using strong arguments, you will definitely convince the reader that your opinion is right.