The science is distinguished by its goals, means, motives and conditions in which scientific work proceeds from any other sphere of human activity. If the goal of science is to comprehend the truth, then its method is scientific research. The study, unlike the spontaneous forms of knowledge of the surrounding world, is based on a scientific method. Its implementation involves understanding and fixing the purpose of the research, the means of research (methodology, approaches, techniques), the orientation of the study on the reproducibility of the result.
What Is a Research Paper
Writing research work is a process of developing scientific knowledge, one of the types of cognitive activity of a scientist. Any scientific research is characterized by certain qualities such as objectivity, reproducibility, evidence and accuracy.
Scientists who are professionally prepared for this, working scientific institutions with experimental and laboratory equipment are, as a rule, engaged in writing academic papers. Each science uses its methods and means to acquire new knowledge. To build scientific theories, scientists use the conceptual and categorical apparatus of science, they have a system of scientific information. Knowledge in the process of research can act either as a prerequisite, or as a means, or as a result of scientific research.
Preparing to Write a Research Paper
It must be remembered that a research paper rubric is systematic and purposeful. Therefore, an important task is a clear definition of the scope of scientific research activities - its object and subject, a kind of "coordinate system" of research. Work on any research begins with the definition of the named "system". It consists of three elements:
- "object area",
- "subject" of the study.
This stage precedes the choice of the research topic. Let's give a brief definition of each of the elements of the "system".
The object area of research is the sphere of science and practice, in which the object of research is located. In student practice, it can correspond to one or another academic discipline, for example, mathematics, biology, literature, physics, etc. The object of research is a certain process or phenomenon that generates a problematic situation. The object is a peculiar bearer of the problem, this is what research activities are aimed at. The concept of the object is closely related to the concept of the subject-matter.
The subject-matter is the specific part of the object within which the search is conducted. The subject-matter of the study may be phenomena in general, their individual aspects, aspects and relationships between individual parties and the whole (a set of elements, relationships, relationships in a particular area of the object). It is the subject-matter of research that determines the theme of the work.
Structure of a Research Paper
Research paper meme can be structured according to the various characteristics. The most productive is the separation of the empirical and theoretical level of organization of scientific knowledge. In accordance with this approach, it is legitimate to establish differences in the empirical and theoretical levels of scientific research in a number of parameters, among which the most important is the specificity of the tasks to be solved, the research objectives and methods for their implementation, and also the specific features of the scientific knowledge and linguistic means of expression.
The empirical research reveals and fixes relatively shallow connections and characteristics of the objects under study, behind which are hidden internal essential and necessary parameters, the study of which is aimed at theoretical cognition. An empirical study is designed to describe the object under study, to systematize the information collected about it, and the main task of theoretical cognition is the explanation of the phenomena being studied.
Solving the problems in empirical and theoretical knowledge, the scientist addresses various methods of research. Among the methods of the empirical level of scientific knowledge are comparison, measurement, observation, experiment, description. Theoretical ones include idealization, sign modeling, formalization, method of thought experiment, axiomatic method, hypothetico-deductive method, methods of mathematical hypothesis, computational experiment, ascent from abstract to concrete and others.
Essentially, the results obtained in the course of the empirical and theoretical study differ. The basic forms of empirical knowledge include scientific facts, empirical generalizations and patterns. The results of theoretical research are scientific theories.
Thus, the empirical and theoretical levels of scientific research are interconnected by the relations of dialectical contradiction, which allows one to see in their interaction one of the most productive sources of the development of scientific knowledge.
13 Easy Steps to write a Research Paper and Get an A+
Any concrete research can be presented in a number of stages.
- Choice of the research topic.
- Definition of the object and the subject of the study.
- Definition of purpose and objectives.
- Statement of the title of the work.
- Development of the hypothesis.
- Drawing up a research plan.
- Work with literature.
- Selection of subjects.
- Choice of research methods.
- Organization of the conditions for conducting the study.
- Conduct research (collection of material).
- Processing of research results.
- Formulation of conclusions.
Each stage has its own tasks, which are often solved sequentially, and sometimes simultaneously.
And some more useful tips to write a good paper:
- choose the relevant topic for research;
- choose a manager or consultant who is a specialist in the field;
- justify the relevance of research by critically analyzing the work of other authors;
- make references to authoritative sources;
- before writing, make up an approximate plan for the main part; structure work according to generally accepted norms;
- write the text in a competent language, using the correct terminology;
- do not overload the text with unnecessary information of a general nature;
- emphasize the scientific novelty of the results;
- show the advantages of your development in comparison with existing analogues; in conclusion, note the practical significance of the development and the economic effect of its application;
- involve collaborators;
- read the finished article several times, correct errors and inaccuracies;
- check the work for uniqueness.
How to Write a Conclusion for a Research Paper
The purpose of the research paper conclusion is prove to the reader that the author of the research coped with the task set in the beginning of the paper. To do this, it is necessary to briefly return to the problem, in several sentences to describe the progress of the work done and to make a comprehensive result. It can also include practical recommendations and new theoretical developments.
Research Paper Template
In order to avoid common mistakes, it is necessary to analyze a lot of research paper templates. Here are some of the basic mistakes to avoid:
- Unsuccessful choice of research topic;
- Incorrect work title;
- Wrong formulation of the purpose and objectives of the study;
- Performance of work on individuals, absence of a control group;
- Absence of statistical processing of results;
- Illiterate wording of conclusions;
- The absence of references to literary sources in the text of the work.