1.Identify Bernardo, Francisco, Marcellus, Horatio, and King Hamlet.
Watchmen of Elsinore. Horatio is a friend of Hamlet's. King Hamlet is the former king who is dead.
2.What had Bernardo seen at a prior watch?
They believe they have seen King Hamlet's ghost two nights previous.
3.Why does Marcellus think Horatio should speak to the ghost?
Because he knew King Hamlet personally and he is more respected.
4.What does young Fortinbras want to do?
Wants to start war between Denmark and Norway so he can get the lands back that were lost in the war King Hamlet led against Norway.``
5. Who do the soldiers/guards want to tell about the ghost?
6. Identify King Claudius, Queen Gertrude, Laertes, and Polonius.
King Hamlet's brother and new king of Denmark, /Hamlet's mother, the queen, newly married to Claudius, /son of Polonius and contemporary of Hamlet,/ Polonius is father of Ophelia and Laertes and is King Claudius' counselor.
7. Where does Claudius send Cornelius and Voltimand?
To Norway to make sure the King there knows what Fortinbras is up to.
8. What does the King tell Hamlet?
That he needs to be done with mourning for his father, that the continual mourning makes him look weak, and that he wants Hamlet not to go back to Wittenberg.
10. What news does Horatio bring Hamlet?
That his father's ghost has been seen on the ramparts of the castle.
11. What does Hamlet decide to do after he hears Horatio's news?
He is going to keep watch with the guards and try to see the ghost.
12. What is Laertes' advice to Ophelia?
Hamlet is not the man for her because his life is not his own. He won't be able to marry someone like her, but will have to marry royalty.
13. What is Polonius' advice to Laertes?
Don't say everything you think. Don't do everything you think. Be original: be yourself. Keep friends that you can trust. Be careful of new acquaintances. Don't fight with anyone, but if you have to fight, you had best win. Listen, and don't speak all the time. Take their opinion, but don't judge them on their opinion. Don't overspend on accessories. Dress nicely, not richly. People judge you by what you wear. French are snotty with dress, so remember your stature. Neither a borrower nor a lender be. If you loan money, you'll lose friends. If you borrow money, you won't manage very well. Be true to yourself. If you are true to yourself, you will be true to others. Think of this everyday and you'll do it everyday.
14. At the end of Scene III, Ophelia agrees to "obey." What will she do?
Not see Hamlet.
9. Hamlet is upset for two reasons. What are they?
His father's death and his mother's quick marriage to his uncle (her brother in law)
15. What does the ghost tell Hamlet?
He was murdered by Claudius. Claudius poured poison in his ear while he was sleeping. Don't get revenge on Gertrude - she didn't know. But get revenge against Claudius.
16. Hamlet swears Horatio to two things. What are they?
Don't tell anyone about the ghost, and no matter how Hamlet behaves, don't say anything about it.